ROLE: AUSTIN COMMUNITY CANVASSER
LOCATION: AUSTIN, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 31, 2023
Workers Defense seeks canvassers to join a new Community Engagement Project with a goal of knocking on 5,000 doors to engage renters and residents in housing and economic justice issues!
This is a part-time, temporary position for 20 -30 hours per week from November 6, 2023 to April 2024.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are committed to social justice.
- You are comfortable speaking with people at their door – this is a door-knocking position.
- You are enthusiastic about being part of a team.
THIS ROLE IN ACTION:
- Contact door-to-door Enter data about the conversations into a handheld electronic device or computer; collect and manage data.
- Be available for hourly work in the evenings from 1pm to 6pm. Five days a week; Monday through Friday. Hours may change based on the needs of the project.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Previous experience in canvassing or working with the public
- Must be able to walk 2-3 miles ( 5 hours) during each shift going door-to-door
- Ability to use a tablet and canvassing programs such as VAN and Every Action
- Own insured transportation and a valid Texas driver’s license
- Attend community events once a month
- Great people skills and ability to hold conversations with the community at their door
- Strong interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Ability to work and engage with diverse groups of people
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Hourly rate of $25 for 20 -30 hours per week
- Paid training is provided
- Paid sick leave
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.