POLITICAL/COMMUNITY ORGANIZER in HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL NOVEMBER 1
Workers Defense (WD) is seeking a full-time Political Organizer in Houston, TX.
The Political Organizer is responsible for educating, mobilizing, and cultivating relationships with community and political leaders in support of our strategic campaigns in coordination with the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT). The Political Organizer role will focus on community organizing and political outreach to further the shared goals of Workers Defense and IUPAT by building relationships with key partners, educating our current members and future members, and mobilizing our allies in support of our mission of building power for working people. The Political Organizer will also execute electoral engagement campaigns in support of our strategic campaigns. Electoral responsibilities could include supervising canvassers or volunteers in executing a field program to engage voters in strategic elections.
The political organizer must be committed to WD’s identity as a grassroots, membership-based organization, and will be required to collaborate actively with WD staff and worker leaders to develop and execute campaign strategies that advance our mission and values. The political organizer will develop strategic partnerships with key allies and local policy-makers and engage member leaders in these efforts. This is a full time, salaried, and FLSA-exempt position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for community and political outreach.
- Builds strategic relationships with potential allies among labor, religious, ethnic, immigrant, and other appropriate community organizations and leaders; attend their meetings or events.
- Educate and mobilize members, workers and community members to attend meetings with elected officials, activist committees, union events, etc.
- Track and report progress toward organizing and political goals established in the strategic plans on a daily and weekly basis.
- Travel to assist in departmental and campaign needs.
- Coordinate trainings for members in collaboration with our training divisions or other partners (Popular Education or Health and Safety).
- Support the coordination of actions or events.
- Sustain and grow our partnerships with other community or labor organizations as well as political relationships.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Demonstrates commitment to social justice, union organizing, anti-oppression, or social movement unionism, with 2-3 years experience in relevant fields.
- Strong preference for individuals with previous experience in labor, community, student, and/or social movement organizations or campaigns.
- Strong preference for individuals who are familiar with the political landscape of Houston, Texas.
- Strong coalition-building and facilitation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents.
- Commitment to developing grassroots leadership to advance WD and IUPAT’s vision to achieve just and dignified working conditions for low-wage workers.
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work some weeknights and weekends.
- Willingness to respond promptly to emails, phone calls, and other forms of communication.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Excellent time management and administrative skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, internet.
- Must have a current driver’s license and insured vehicle.
- Performing all other job-related duties as required.
- Bilingual in Spanish, preferred.
- Experience with Voter Activation Network (VAN).
Working environment will be a combination of office work and fieldwork. The individual will work closely with Workers Defense and IUPAT, with time spent in both offices. The individual selected will be expected to travel as a component of this position.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com and include “Houston Political Organizer” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
As an equal opportunity employer, Workers Defense embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.