ROLE: MOVEMENT POLITICS MANAGER
LOCATION: HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
The Movement Politics Manager will help Workers Defense activate our base of members and voters to advocate for change in support of immigrant and worker justice at the local, state, and national level. This position will supervise our canvassing programs and serve as the lead for our member Committee on Political Education (COPE).
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are passionate about protecting and strengthening worker & immigrant rights in Texas!
- You are excited about engaging in strategic campaigns to organize working & immigrant communities.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of stakeholders (including faith, labor, immigrant, and BIPOC communities).
- You are committed to Workers Defense’s identity as a membership-based organization.
- You are committed to engaging underrepresented voters and workers in the Democracy process/system, through voting and civic engagement.
- You are skilled at motivating and inspiring others to take action!
THE ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will create and implement WD’s base building plan as well as metrics and analytics to measure success.
- You will create outreach strategies and materials for our team.
- You will support our Leadership Development courses.
- You will manage our field program teams including recruitment and hiring and serve as the direct supervisor for the Canvassing Lead.
- You will work with the Electoral Team and make recommendations on our electoral programs, including researching races, candidates, and working with the Data Coordinator to identify our membership within each district.
- You will restructure, oversee, and maintain our member COPE committee.
- Any other activities that are necessary to carry out the work of Workers Defense.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Two years of management experience (preferably in the context of canvassing programs)
- Experience in community or labor organizing
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Proficiency with VAN
- Basic computer literacy (PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, & Internet)
- Able to work irregular hours (often in the evenings and weekends)
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Valid driver’s license and an insured vehicle
*If you don’t meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit for the role, please apply. Workers Defense recognizes that candidates who don’t check every box can still add value to our team.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Salary scale of $62,500 to $70,000 annually.
- A $1,000 annual language stipend for English-Spanish bilingual staff.
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal.
- 26 paid holidays annually (including your birthday, the week of Thanksgiving, and our winter break from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st).
- Every other Friday off.
- Retirement plan with company match (as per our Personnel Policies Manual).
- Paid parental leave of six weeks (after probationary period (120 days from hire).
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.